We administer services executed by the Directorate through Press releases, Advertisement in both print, electronic and outdoor media, Street plays, Publications, Cultural programmes, LED Billboard display, Hoardings, Press Accreditation to Journalists, Medical aid to ailing Journalists, Announcement of Govt. messages through FLS, dissemination of information at grass root level , Website/e-mail/Facebook /Bulk SMS etc. The Department accords all administrative approval.
- Ensure smooth and uninterrupted flow of information regarding Government policies, programmes and schemes to the citizens including media.
- Promote regular feedback to the Government about people's perception.
- Establish communication links between Government and people using social media and other IT platforms.
- Disseminate information about the policies, programmes and achievements of Govt. through print, electronic, social media using the latest communication and information technology tools including social media.
- Foster healthy Media-Govt. relationship and apprise the Govt. of the public perception and opinion to enable suitable policy approach and schematic design.
- Acts as Nodal Agency for disseminating Government policies and programmes and receives feedback from the public through various media.
- Issues Government advertisements to Print, Electronic and Web Media.
- Organizes Press Conferences, issues Press Releases and Photographs and takes part in various press research activities.
- Issues accreditation cards to the journalists as per Assam Press Correspondents (Accreditation and Recognition) Rules 1989.
- It plays a pivotal role in the civil administration in maintaining peace and integrity in the State to thwart away communal and ethnic clashes.
- Organizes activities like Exhibition, Street Plays, Symposium and other events for generating mass awareness.
- Publishes books, posters, pamphlets, brochures etc. on diverse subjects of the State particularly on development and educative issue including regular publication of a weekly newspaper in local language and two monthly magazines in local and English language.
- Implements various welfare schemes.